View Single Post
Old October 31, 2005, 09:53 PM   #19
threefivesevenmag

Not how much you bench.

I think it is important to have cardio stamina, not just brute strength when it comes to physical conditioning.

I believe if one can last three intense boxing rounds that last three minutes each without much fatigue, then they are above the curb in most areas.

Physical conditioning should be a priority when it comes to fleeing a fight or just being in hand-to-hand combat. At my gym, it is funny to see the guys who only come in...don't stretch...and then power lift everything with bad form. They might be "big" but they don't ever do cardio and someone of slightly equal size, with a good understanding of fighting could easily drop them.

That being said. I'd say having a routine would be good.

*10 minutes of warm up cardio/stretching.

*Weight lifting concentrating on certain muscle groups on certain days. No over kill needed if you don't want to. Lift what is healthy and comfortable for you.

*30 minutes of cardio (running, walking brisk, eliptical machines, rowing, any physical activity.)

*Abdominal Exercises for your core.

*10 minutes of cool down/stretching.

*Mix in a decent diet and a good amount of sleep.

If one kept this up 4-6 times a week for 3 months they'd see some great results. It's hard though, with family, work, friends, and just relaxing time. If I could only do one bit of physical exercise I'd just do cardio.

Oh well, this is what I do and try to do. It really has worked. I'm 6'1 and 235lbs. Not a "pro" at anything, but I enjoy working out and getting my energy focused. Now if I could only balance it out better during snow in days and holidays.

PS: Twycross, being fit and small doesn't mean a bigger guy has an advantage over you in a fight. Honestly, smaller guys have less to lose and usually fight harder as they are not trying to impress anyone...but trying to make it out alive. Fighting is a reflex kind of thing, much like trigger control. If you practice enough, in a physical confrontation, the reflexive odds are with you, even if you are down because of the reaction curve. It's why we stay alert! So don't doubt yourself man, size can help...but it's not even half the equation. Now numbers...that can be a problem.

Page generated in 0.02343 seconds with 8 queries