View Single Post
Old July 25, 2002, 12:16 PM   #14
uglygun

Something not touched upon with the balistic tip designs.

For feeding reliability the balistic tips really aid feeding, if you manage to pull the plastic insert from the core of the bullet you'll be greated by one of the most blatantly nasty looking hollow points you've ever seen on a rifle bullet(atleast with the ones meant for varminting). Try to feed a bullet with a hollow point like that that doesn't have a sharp pointy tip and you'll have headaches left and right with feeding, the chances of having the bullet NOT get stuffed down into the case upon feeding will be dramatically improved if you can have nice pointy bullets. I don't crimp for my AR15 or my AR10 and have had no problems using any of the bullets out there without a crimping canneleur.

The Speer 52grn hollow point has a large broad opening at the tip and I don't always have success feeding them through my AR15s, but I have never once had a problem feeding any of the Balistic tip style bullets through my AR15s and that includes the Hornady Vmax, Sierra BlitzKing, and Nosler Balistic Tip.

Others have mentioned that some of the balistic tips are meant for varminting while others are meant for large game, definitely true. Bullet construction differs quite a bit between the varminting bullets and the ones meant for larger game.

As for Winchester's Silver Tip loads, there is one out there for rifles that uses Noslers. It's the "Combined Technology" 165 grain and probably 150grain loads, the bullet is definitely a Nosler balistic tip type bullet only with the proprietary Winchester balisticlean coating or whatever they call it.

Also, if using a semiauto and you try to go too light on the bullet weights(like using the Speer 125grain TNT or the Hornady Vmax 110grain for the 308Win) the cycling of the rifle may be adversely effected, middle to heavier weight bullets are likely to cycle the action more reliably.

Page generated in 0.02837 seconds with 8 queries