View Single Post
Old February 28, 2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Tennessee Gentleman

General Question about Red Flag Laws

So I notice two threads about this from different states. I don't want to repeat the threads but wanted input on the issue itself.

I wanted to ask the forum about whether a mechanism exists or needs to be created to allow close friends or family members to refer crazy folk with guns to the mental health system involuntarily that is not already in place.

I have read about several mass shootings (like the Stoneman HS one) where there were warning signs all over the place and yet nothing was done to preempt the shooter when family members knew they were nuts and dangerous. We had a shooting here in TN at a Waffle House where Illinois took the kids guns but then gave them back to the dad and HE gave them to the kid who he KNEW was coo-coo for cocoa puffs.

So, does a workable mechanism exist in most states to separate crazy folk from guns that has due process and yet is not so cumbersome that you have to hire a lawyer to do it.

I am ignorant on this part but if I had a crazy relative that had guns and I feared they may harm themselves of others how would I proceed other than calling my good friend who happens to be a police chief. Of course I could ask him and might at our next Rotary meeting.

Is this a problem that needs some fixing with something not Bloombergian or just another gun grab?

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries