View Single Post
Old February 10, 2018, 01:39 PM   #1
brennok

Basic rules and guidelines when it comes to cleaning, oil, and maintenance?

I have been helping some friends and family inventory some firearms they inherited. While we all have basic gun handling knowledge, we have realized not a single one of us has any experience with gun maintenance or cleaning. This has made us more paranoid as we handle the collection which has sat for years relatively untouched. It also seems the more we research the more everyone has their own personal preference on what works best and what to avoid based off the finish.

I think if the collection was mostly polymer firearms or well worn we would be less worried about screwing up the finish, but some of the pieces look to be up their in value and a few are engraved with what appears to be gold. Also we can't seem to find anything the previous owner used so we are starting from scratch.

Some people seem to recommend Hoppes or Break Free collector, but we were hesitant to just dive in. I guess we are worried something will be great for blued guns, but damaging to Nickel or vice versa and use the wrong product on the wrong finish. Some recommend silicone, but to avoid getting it on wood. I figure we are overthinking this, but I also understand their concerns since they don't want to ruin something their parents maintained for years.

Any general guidelines and tips are greatly appreciated.

Page generated in 0.02975 seconds with 8 queries