View Single Post
Old March 17, 2013, 07:23 AM   #74
overhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Whether it's 1% or 1000% is beside the point. So is the idea that the cost would be kept minimal, or that there are already other sources for foraging my private information.

What's important is that the NICS system is intrusive and bothersome, and a balancing benefit has never been proven. Whether or not it's practical to extend that system to private sales is irrelevant; the fact that it's wrong to do so is my point.
I really have no idea how effective it is. It maybe that I spend too much time around gun counters, but I have seen two people arrested by the state police for trying to buy guns that had outstanding felony warrants and more then a couple rejected. Of course, as I said, I have no idea how effective the system is in the end because those folks could certainly go buy a gun illegally if they wished without a background check.

The background checks really don't bother me that much, obviously. And I say that being a person that has never gone through a background check without getting a hold placed of 15 minutes to a couple of days each time I buy a gun.

But, I understand why people have concerns, I just disagree with some of them.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries