View Single Post
Old January 27, 2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
To clarify, you aren't talking about the nose from the front/exhaust/muzzle of the suppressor, rather, you're talking about from the suppressor body itself.
That is correct, you understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I can't imagine a way to manually or directly measure this, as the sound would be too minimal, compared to the muzzle blast, to manually or directly measure.
If the muzzle end of the suppressor was attached and sealed to a large sound-proof chamber so that all muzzle blast noise could be eliminated, then the remaining noise emanating from the silencer body itself could be easily quantified. I would think this information would be crucial in developing better silencers. It would tell the designer where to concentrate their efforts in attempting to lower the db's with modifications.

Quote:
So, yes, there is sound created by the powder gas contacting and flowing through the baffles and body of the silencer. Due to the sound levels and the extremely short duration, it is not detectable by the human ear.
This is what I have a hard time reconciling. If the silencer, through it's baffling system stops and converts a large portion of the energy coming from the gun's muzzle into heat, or also changing the sound signature, wouldn't all of that converted energy be "sound" coming from the silencer itself?

Last edited by Skans; January 27, 2016 at 09:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.02166 seconds with 8 queries