View Single Post
Old August 19, 2015, 01:34 PM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
The problem is that the little nub on the cocking mechanism has worn down.
That's actually just one of several problems with that model Savage. Worth investigating, but not necessarily the answer. If that's the problem, you can probably get a replacement from Numrich ($25.30) cheaper than having a gunsmith doing a weld job.

I put together about 15 or so of these for a late friend from a huge box of loose parts about 15 years ago. The guns were of varying condition, but I never had a follow-down once they were assembled. I did however have failures to cock from sears and sear trips. The whole thing was like a huge jigsaw puzzle: If one part didn't work, I would try another until I got a combination that worked. Lot of hand fitting involved with a Savage and each gun took me about 6 or 7 hours to get right. I had no way of knowing which part had originally come from which gun since they were all completely disassembled and just dumped in a big box. LOL!!!!!!

The fact that you said it happens more frequently when you pull the trigger before releasing the slide probably means there is wear on the sear or sear trip mechanism. The sear trip is essentially the disconnector.

(BTW: Have you given it a thorough cleaning, meaning complete disassembly of every part, and cleaning of every nook and cranny? Given the design, the guns are very sensitive to dirt build up or even a small foreign particle lodged somewhere.)
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 19, 2015 at 01:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.04047 seconds with 8 queries