View Single Post
Old September 12, 1999, 11:50 PM   #6
Big Bunny

Well posted Peter !
The specification for military ammo is always different, and even for different applications too - and also between different countries . Remember not many Mil users reload ....and they couldn't care less what happens to their brass afterwards.
Despite the similarities of the two rounds(308W and 7.62X51 Nato) those who use the fired cases or loaded ammo interchangeably should do so with some caution.
This is DESPITE the milspec tolerances and dimentions used, heavier sometimes hardened brass, crimp/stab primers, less capacity=higher pressures etc etc.
Their ammo is right for THEIR military purposes and conditions -but it may not suit YOU or your rifle.
I have had no problems reloading with a standard 7.62 Simplex die set, except hard resizng (after use by auto M60s has "altered" the case rear a bit).
As my rifles are both bolts (M96 and M98 reworked from 30.06 and 7.92X57mm by FN for Israel)and in these Mausers either the new/surplus civvy or mil ammo appears OK and interchangeable. I have had no problems so far with mild target and hotter hunting loads.
I almost got into trouble once by firing milspec S&B (N07 not the super-hot Mk8 either!) .303Br in a No4 MK2(1941 Savage/Chicopee Falls manufactured)with a Sportco "civillian" spec(IE read - 'different tolerance' chamber).
Oh dear...only a bit stickey and bolt difficulty - BUT the pressures went sky high when simply the OAL was different -the throat machining (including a rare reamer "chatter") could be clearly seen in bas-relief on the neck brass !!

The No4 Enfield rifle in SSAA "perfect" condition happily was unharmed. But my new excellently marked and historic collectable (purchased ex New Zealand) and $200(1987 price) was so nearly wasted...

You have been warned.

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries