View Single Post
Old January 3, 2019, 11:00 AM   #28
Steve in Allentown,

Bill Laughridge and extractors

I just read everything at the link provided by Aguila Blanca. It is very informative and I recommend it to everyone. One section in the Bill Laughridge article that I'd like to point out is here:

Quote:
Now let’s have a look at how the extractor is fitted in relationship to how it actually grips the cartridge. I have noted that most extractor hooks are too long. This causes the extractor hook face to contact the case in the relief angle above the rim of the case. This causes the cartridge to tip to the left with the cartridge base not being in full contact with the breech face. When the slide chambers the cartridge the cartridge is slammed straight with the chamber and the base of the cartridge is now fully contacting the breech face. All of this causes the extractor to be slammed to the right and back with great force. The face of the extractor hook gouges a notch in the case relief which also puts a great strain on the hook itself.
In summary and paraphrasing, one of the problems with extractors is they are too long from the firing pin slot to the hook. This is a major problem as it causes the extractor nose to pound into the case during every firing cycle. This shortens the extractor's life by putting undue stress on the extractor. It can also cause feeding problems. I do not interpret this to mean the profile of the extractor's nose needs to be rounded or flat. Rather it means the extractor's nose should not contact the case.

Another snippet from the article:
Quote:
dimensions for the Ultimate Extractor were derived by “blending” the Ordnance dimensions with the modern Colt dimensions
I have a couple of Colts of recent manufacture and their OEM extractors were replaced because they were too long and in solid contact with the case relief angle referenced by Bill in his previous quote above. I'm not sure blending dimensions from two sources had the desired results. I know that several years ago I bought two of Bill's extractors and found that they were too long for the Springfield slides in which I put them. Perhaps he has modified his extractors since then and they may now not be too long. Certainly I agree that spring steel is what should be used to make 1911 extractors and the article fully explains why.

One thing that surprised me is that Bill didn't address extractor deflection at all.

The writer of the article, Harwood Loomis, wrote, "No wonder most replacement parts have to be fitted in most 1911s." This is exactly the point I was making in my earlier posts.

Page generated in 0.04982 seconds with 8 queries