View Single Post
Old July 9, 2011, 09:10 AM   #313
Jeff22

more suggestions for new shooters

(1.) If you're shooting a match, wear real shoes or boots. Not crocs and not sandals and not flip-flops! You may be moving over un-even ground, you may appreciate shoes with proper insole support and ankle support, and shoes or boots will protect your feet in case bullet fragments bounce back off a steel plate or you drop a "pepper popper" steel target on your foot. Last week I saw a guy wearing crocs drop a pepper popper on his foot while we were tearing down after the match. By a miracle, he escaped injury . . .

(2.) If moving laterally from shooting box to shooting box to engage different arrays of targets KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!! For right handed shooters, moving left to right is easy and moving right to left is awkward. For left handed shooters, the reverse is true, as far as maintaining a safe muzzle direction goes. Be mindful of what you're doing and remember that safety takes precedence over speed.

(3.) If the stage involves opening a door or opening a window or manipulating some kind of object in some way, be mindful of where your muzzle is. Don't sweep yourself with the muzzle when opening the door or going through the door. I've never seen anybody shoot themselves, but I've seen guys get match DQs from that and I've almost done it myself a few times over the year. Safety before speed.

(4.) If you're shooting in hot weather, be sure to hydrate! This has been mentioned in other places in this discussion and bears repeating. Pre-hydrate before you get to the range and keep hydrated once you get there. Gatorade works although it does have a high sugar content. You could dilute it a little bit or use the powder kind and mix it a little weak. I usually use Vitalyte (used to be called "Gookinade" [named after the guy who invented it] and then "Hydrolite") but I just read some info on Cera Sport that would suggest that might be a viable alternative. I know many ranges don't have modern restroom facilities and that is an issue for female shooters. Still, you have to be hydrated . . . http://www.ceraproductsinc.com/produ...cerasport.html or www.vitalyte.com
(5.) If engaging multiple targets with only one hand, if you go right to left when shooting with the right hand, and left to right when shooting with the left hand, you may have somewhat better results. It depends on the shooter. I find it works best for me to shoot with a nearly locked elbow when firing one handed.

(6.) When shooting in the summer, if you're wearing a T-shirt on the range, get one long enough so that it stays tucked in when you are working out of the holster. Duluth Trading makes a product they call a long tailed T that's a T-shirt 3 inches longer than usual, so it stays tucked in. (The intent was to avoid the horror of "plumber's butt") Some are all cotton and some are a cotton/cool max blend. Highly recommended. www.duluthtrading.com

Page generated in 0.03641 seconds with 8 queries