View Single Post
Old January 3, 2020, 12:35 AM   #4
Scorch

Avoid the correspondence/distance learning options and the tinkering until you become a master. Since you are on the West coast, look into Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA. In 18 months, you can have an associates degree in gunsmithing.

Which school is best? I have known people who went to CST, Trinidad, Sonoran Desert Institute, Piedmont, and Lassen CC, and I can say unequivocally that none of them were significantly better than another right after they graduated. When you graduate with an associates, you will have hands on knowledge of some of the most common tasks, machine time doing the most common machine work, a basic knowledge of use of hand and power tools, and a great deal of uncharted territory. I have seen great work from people who never went to a trade school or technical college, and I have seen crappy work from people who went to any one of the "best" colleges. You will not be a custom gunsmith when you graduate, you will be a beginner. Find someone you can apprentice with and you may turn out to be good.
Taylor Machine

Page generated in 0.02729 seconds with 8 queries