View Single Post
Old January 20, 2017, 11:25 AM   #157
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But the people in government regularly use their powers to stomp on constitutional rights with impunity. The law may struck from the books, but those who willfully violate the rights of others through the application of government powers will pay no price.
until the REVOLUTION!!!!!!!

Those in power, stomping on the natural rights of others has been going on as long as there have been those in power. I don't see that changing.

Do, however make sure you understand, and make the distinction between those who do it willfully and gleefully, and those who are just doing their job, the best way they know how, and the way they were taught.

I agree, it is a pleasing thought to think that these people should be held personally responsible for their official acts, but this is America, and as a principle, we don't do that, unless they actually break existing law. (and, sadly, not often enough, even then...)

It's another moral point to be proud of, something Americans do that happens too seldom in the rest of the world. The standard was set by our Founders, who, after the Revolution, when they had the power, did NOT round up all the Crown agents and hang them. Who did NOT behead the nobility in job lots.

Yes, some were tarred and feathered, beaten, run out of town on a rail. True people suffered, and I'm certain there were some fatalities, but by and large these were isolated individual instances. Our former rulers and their servants were not executed, imprisoned for life, sent to a gulag, or anything of the sort, generally. We simply told them to find a new life, preferably somewhere else...

What other nation has fought a war for freedom, and then treated its former masters with the degree of fairness and forgiveness that we did????

Yes, while I personally would be happy to see Congressperson Feinschumenbaumbergstein spend the rest of their natural life UNDER the jail, (or worse) that's because I'm small, petty, vicious, venal and vindictive.

Satisfying as that might be, they don't actually deserve it, and we don't do it, which shows both ourselves and the world that we actually ARE better people than many make us out to be.

Page generated in 0.03780 seconds with 8 queries