View Single Post
Old December 13, 2019, 04:04 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
What's the advantage of carrying a Shield EZ over the ordinary M&P9 Shield?

Also, attempting to redesign/rechamber a .380 ACP pistol in 9mm Luger never works out well, just look at the Remington R51.

Despite what its appearance and European nomenclature may suggest, the .380 ACP is not a shortened 9mm Luger, but rather a scaled down version of the .45 ACP, ergo it's a straight-walled cartridge which generates significantly lower chamber pressures than 9mm Luger, yet manufacturers keep trying to make 9mm Luger versions of .380 ACP pistols, and what do you know, they always end up getting recalled or having some critical part fail which requires a redesign/replacement.

Heck, how often has any attempt at rechambering a firearm for a more powerful cartridge ever been successful? Because it seems like the answer is never.

Honestly...

• Attempts to rechamber 9mm Luger pistols in .40 S&W - FAILURE.
  • Attempts to rechamber .45 ACP pistols in 10mm Auto - FAILURE.
  • Attempts to rechamber .380 ACP pistols in 9mm Luger - FAILURE.

Such attempts have consistently failed until the manufacturer straight up redesigned the pistols based on what they learned from said failures. It's just plain never that simple.
The advantages are the same as they've been for the EZ line since the inception. Easier to rack and manipulate for people with limited hand strength.

I wouldn't use the Remington R51 as an example. They were using a different locking system than the standard locked breach Browning titling barrel design, and frankly Remington was having QC issues at the time.

One example I can think of is the P938 from the P238. Yes the design had to be scaled up some. The EZ 380 was already large for a 380 Auto. The EZ 9mm is ever so slightly larger in length and width, no doubt for the pressure differences. It's not the exact same pistol.

There are already reviews showing the pistol going hundreds of rounds without issue. Now maybe those are cherry picked pistols and full production will show problems in the short or long term. Or maybe S&W is competent enough to do this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries