View Single Post
Old April 18, 2020, 02:16 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It is caused by several problems , and happens when all of them are present in a rifle . An oversized chamber , too small a case , too long in the throat for a bullet , too small a bullet , cold weather , and certain powders .
I've only had a couple dozen "milsurp" rifles over the years (that stayed in "issue condition), and have never run into that "perfect storm" of conditions you describe.

That might be serendipity, or it might be that, combined with my loading practices, choice of bullets and powder.

I use bullets that are "right" for the nominal bore size (.311/.312", not .308" for 7.62x54R, .303 Brit and 7.7mm Jap, .308" for US .30s, .264" for the 6.5 Swede, .323" for 8mm Mauser, etc.), and for most of them I used IMR 4895, and loads from my old (1970s) Lyman manual. And CCI standard large rifle primers.

I can see where, if you load unusual combinations, you can get unusual results, but not doing that myself, I've never seen any.

Page generated in 0.02982 seconds with 8 queries