View Single Post
Old June 30, 2000, 09:59 AM   #12
Bubba

Ok... I am no LEO basher. I have GREAT respect for the people who put their lives on the line every day.

And there are exceptions to every statement. All that said.... In almost every training class I have taken... the LEO were the LEAST trained of the class. There are excetions.. two FINE officers from a little town between Austin and San Antonio were outstanding. But most of the officers in my classes could not hit the broad side of a barn. A number of other shooters with whom I train have noticed similar situations in their training classes. (An air conditioning mechanic recently qualified better than 80% of a local agency in a Surefire training class.)

Police Olympics were recently held here in Austin. The IDPA club with whom I shoot regularly hosted the practical pistol competition. Our Marksman level Safety Officers could have finished 2nd or 3rd out of 40 odd competitiors. (FYI Marksman is the lowest level of classification in IDPA)

Am I ragging on LEO here??? No way. What I am saying is in many cases they do NOT get the best level of training. They deserve much better. I applaude departments who bring in outside instructors to better train their people. I tip my hat even more to the officers who spend their own hard earned money on such training.

While there are officers I WOULD want with me if the merde hit the occilator... If I have a choice... I want trained private citizen shooters on my 6.

All that said to quote Col Cooper below.... If you are not trained... Get trained.. its the best money you will ever spend.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03288 seconds with 8 queries