View Single Post
Old June 3, 2014, 08:02 AM   #18
Skans

If you want ergonomics, then buy a Remington 700 action in your favorite caliber and mount it in a custom, bedded stock sized correctly for the individual. If it has to be a cheap semi-auto in 7.62 then buy a custom wood stock for an SKS and have it sized to fit you correctly with sculpted cheek weld.

If you want a semi-auto battle rifle, then buy a chinese M1a action and mount it in your stock of choice.

The Ak is intended to be a small full-auto, mid-power carbine/rifle. Ask yourself - do you really want an AK that hasn't been designed to handle full-auto mag dumps? If you don't want a robust AK that can be knocked around and can handle full-auto fire, then buy the 1mm AK-lites with cheap non-chrome barrels - I can understand going that rout if you need to supply 100 men with arms on a limited budget.

When you can no longer buy an AK underfolder, and get stuck with that straight stock AK, then you'll understand. How do I know this??? Because in 1988, right before the '89 import ban, the only AK that could be found (pre-internet) in a 100 mile radius, were 3 fixed stock Polytech stamped receiver AK's. Underfolders were long gone. Once the the Assault Weapon ban expired (enacted after the import ban), and good quality underfolders became available, a high quality polish 1.5mm underfolder with chrome barrel was the first post-sunset firearm I purchased!

Oh, and as for advantages of the underfolder? When folded, smaller, thinner, more robust and more concealable than most bullpups. Fits inside of a hiking backpack.

It's fine to disagree with me. Just remember I was looking at AK's since the early 1980's but waited until 1988 to buy one....and then waited until 2009 to buy another.

Last edited by Skans; June 3, 2014 at 08:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.03285 seconds with 8 queries