View Single Post
Old June 2, 2014, 09:11 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
There is no reason to have an AK if it isn't an underfolder. Whatever AK you get, it should have a folding stock, preferably an underfolder. That's what makes it a handy, compact rifle. The fixed stocks (I've had one of those also) are generally too short and uncomfortable and it completely defeats the purpose of having an AK. Also, underfolders will be the first to be banned, and then you'll be sorry you don't have one.

Your next concern in picking an AK should be two-fold: chrome-lined barrel and at least 1.5mm receiver, if stamped.
I disagree with literally every statement here.

Fixed-stock AKs provide better stability, cheek weld and simplicity. Honestly the underfolder has pretty much the worst ergonomics of all AK folding stock types, and is the slowest to bring into action. If you can find an folding comblock polymer stock-equipped rifle, that is the best of of both worlds, but rifles with them tend to be pricy.

If you are shouldering an AK properly (with a squared-up stance and the butt slightly inboard of your strong shoulder), the "Warsaw" stock length is the correct length. Since the "purpose of an AK" is to function as a simple, functional and durable combat rifle, it's impossible to agree that the simple, functional, and durable Warsaw-length fixed stock "completely defeats the purpose of having an AK."

I agree that a quality chrome-lined barrel (preferably a former Comblock cold-hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel) is a great feature to have (and which I personally prefer on my AKs), the Yugoslavians proved that it is possible to build a high-quality and durable AK barrel that is not chrome-lined.

The Russians have proven that the 1mm stamped receiver to be perfectly adequate for the AK-74 and AK-100-series service rifles. Frankly, heavier stamped receivers add nothing but weight, with few other benefits (reduced felt recoil is a benefit, but lets face it - the 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39m rounds are very light-recoiling to begin with), and the Russians have shown stamped receivers in general to have a longer service life than milled. AK receivers heavier than the 1mm receiver of the modern Russian service rifles are truly only needed on RPKs and such, which must be able to absorb sustained fully-automatic fire.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 2, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.03159 seconds with 8 queries