View Single Post
Old December 8, 2012, 09:15 AM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Seeker,
Quote:
I'm trying to understand how a .410 shotgun that fires 3-5 000 Buck pellets with the same velocity as a 12ga. fires 6-9 000 Buck pellets can NOT be effective for self-defense.....
You are apparently posting in the wrong thread or reading something into this one that hasn't been stated...

So far your statement hasn't been addressed previous to your post... No one said the .410 "Can NOT be effective for self defense"...

Contrary... I stated that it might and/or could serve defensive duty... But the OP has the mistaken opinion that the .410 loaded with equal size lead balls to that in a 12 gauge shell are "equal" or possibly even "supior" (OP's spelling not mine) to the 12 gauge gun...

I would rather use a 12 gauge loaded with some 00 buckshot but I must "SETTLE" for a 20 gauge for more than reason resulting from a severely limiting injury to left arm and hand. I cannot reliably cycle the 12 gauge for second shot follow up as it often jumps out of my grasp upon firing and then the action is at half cycle and we all know that soft, short or stopping during cycling can lead to feed issues so I used the next biggest gun I could handle and that is the 20 gauge...

With the 20 gauge payload being about 1/8th ounce lighter on average given identical brand and pellet size, but equal in velocity, I am giving up a considerable amount but feel I am still not under gunned... Now if I couldn't handle the 20 gauge, I think I would resort to a super reliable, soft recoiling 9mm with a snot load of follow up shots sitting in the bowels of the grip...

The .410 can and will "kill" just as good as a .22 or a 10 gauge or even a .50 cal rifle round...

But in the sense of defense against humans, it is proven that death is not the goal...

Immediately stopping the threat is the goal...

SHR970,
Quote:
Didn't we just go through this? Last go around
See my first post in this thread....

Currently the thread lives on since it is still on topic and we haven't quite reached the "dead horse" state quite yet...

Now to profess the love of the .410 is fine... As is stating that you feel it would serve you in the role of defensive shotgun...

But I cannot sit here and forget all the schooling regarding physics etc. or lifelong acquired experience using the .410, 20 and 12 gauge EXTENSIVELY since I was a tiny boy...

Just cannot claim the efficacy of the lesser payload is equal to that of the larger payload...

Keep in mind my dad handed down his Mossberg .410 bolt gun to be MINE at 8 years of age... Before I got a bigger gun I had gained some pretty good skills with my "little .410" over the years. Many adults would brag on my abilities and some cash wagers were made over my head regarding my abilities to drop all sorts of game with it...

But given the first opportunity, I upgraded to 12 gauge for larger targets as I knew first hand the limitations of the .410 in both shot pattern density at distance and outright knock down capability...

Brent

Page generated in 0.02280 seconds with 8 queries