View Single Post
Old November 19, 2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Why is it that some companies seem to have so many problems with ejection while others relatively none? What makes for good ejection? Is it just the design of the ejector, the tightness and shape of the extractor, the strength of the recoil spring, or everything combined? Why does my little CZ seem to be able to do this so well (for all of $550 new), when my mighty HK P30 took a week of locking the slide back to accomplish this (this is no bash on HK, I still love the gun)? Just curious on some opinions.
Keeping a coil spring fully (or nearly fully) compressed for extended periods CAN cause it to degrade. Locking the slide back on your H&K may have had the effect of slightly weakening the recoil spring -- which would increase the distance spent shells are tossed. That said, it's just as likely that the improvement (by your standards) in extraction may have been due to the gun slowly breaking in.

Rounds ejecting 15-20 feet -- which you seem to value -- is not universally considered desirable, especially if a shooter reloads. A gun that consistently drops rounds 3-10 feet away is just as functional as one that sends the rounds much farther away.

Having owned MANY CZs over the years, I'd say that if your P-01 (sending spent cases 15-20 away) has a slightly weakened recoil spring -- or you're simply shooting hot loads.

Problems with ejection can be encountered with any gun; they're not generally confined to a particular brand or design. People with P-01s can have ejection problems, too. Sending the spent cases a great distance is not necessarily a sign of proper function.

When there are ejection problems it's generally due to one or more of the following: 1) anemic or stout ammo, 2) a damaged extractor, 3) a damaged ejector, 4) a recoil spring that is too stout (or too weak!), or 5) limp wristing by the shooter. Figuring out which one (or more) of these variables is the cause can be time-consuming.

Little things like changing the angle at which the case and the ejector meet (by filing on the ejector) can change where the rounds go, and how for, too...)

Page generated in 0.02276 seconds with 8 queries