View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 01:28 AM   #38
ipscchef

Hey Woodyed!

Funny you should mention the Barnes Bullets. I have not had a chance to try them, nor have any of my shooting buddies, but just after my last post I started thinking that hey may be a very good solution. In years past I was very wary of them becuase of a few issues, ie; different pressure curves and a reputation of not being very accurate. But from what I have read and seen lately, the new TTSX's? appear to have overcome the accuracy issue to the point of being quite good long range tack drivers.
Before we conlude our discussion, I would like to take a few sentances to respond to the comments made by "JWilson48'
JWilson, thank you for your comments. I do think everyone on this thread understands that if one shoots a game animal with most any rifle caliber bullet that the animal will eventualy die. That is not what is being discussed here, we all know that already. What we are trying to discern is which particular bullet will be the most efficient and humane in a given situation. The idea is not just to make sure that the animal dies, but that it expires quickly, and that the bullet chosen will do its part under the given circumstances. I am most certainly not an expert, but I have been involed with hunting for many many years. I have seen a situation where a 12 point Buck was shot four times by a friend with his 25-06, two of those hit the Heart and Lungs, the other two broke up on his shoulder and hip bones, on the 1000 acre spread where 12 of us were hunting we had to stop our hunt to find the animal, which had run almost 1/2 mile before expiring. Had just one of the other two bullets broken a hip or shoulder, the deer would have not gotten nearly as far. And yes you are right, the animal did die, wonder of wonders.
In addition I did note that the Ballistic Tip is a very explosive bullet. But having done "Field Autopsies" on over two dozen deer taken with Ballistic Tips alone in .270 and 30-06, I have not yet encountered one that "ruined half the deer"
I will not bore you with any more of my hunting experiences, but none of them involved shooting at a tank with a Ballistic Tip. Are you certain that they will not penetrate a tank? Darn, another boyhood myth ground into the dirt! And No one here spoke of using a FMJ to hunt with, all of the people here most likely know that doing so would not only be unethical, it would just be downright stupid.
In closing, your first sentances indicated that you did not like to join in such discussions. I would like to apologize to you for forcing you into doing something that you "Hated" to do. Please feel free to refrain from continuing further.
Woodyed, it sounds like you have good reason to trust your CoLocts! Again, I did not mean to disparage your choice of bullets, and if you are getting good results with them on Moose, well I think your track record with them speaks for itself. My son lives in Vermont and has just recently gotten the "Hunting Bug". He has been down here the last couple of years and has taken four deer(with MY rifle, I may add) and now wants me to come up there to hunt. It will be a great expereince but I told him that while I would love to take one of the jumbo Whitetails, I am not sure I am up to gutting out something the size of my pickup!( Moose)
You are right that we have not really gone into shot placement until now. This may be the "Three Hundred Pound Gorilla" in the room. The thing that worries me most is the difference between hitting say, one of your giant Mooses in the ribcage and hitting it on the peak of the shoulder. There would be a great difference in what the given bullet would have to deal with. And If you are using your 7mm-08, it might have a harder time getting through that shoulder bone. Now if you are talking about even a very big whitetail with your 7mm-08 and CorLocts, I believe that it would be more than up to the task of getting through heavy bone, and like you have stated, I have seen where my 30-30 with Win Silvertips did not really go through the shoulder of a deer, but turned the bone into a "Frag Grenade"
I am in the proccess of trying to get the money together to buy him a Marlin 336 in 30-30, as that is what he wants. It will mostly be used for Deer, but do you think it is adequate for Moose? I do quite a bit of handloading and can make up just about anything for the gun, but since you have actualy hunted Moose successfully, I would like your recommendations for a "Moose Load" for the 30-30, if there is such a thing. Heck, I would even load CorLocts if you said that it was the right bullet.
I have babbled long enough for one post. I would like to hear your thoughts when you have time. Good talking to you.
Bill "Willy" Henderson

Last edited by ipscchef; April 1, 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries