View Single Post
Old January 12, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1

Remington Model 788 30-30

My reloading partner and I have an interesting winter project. A friend of a friend has a bolt action 30-30 that he wants us to develope some loads for. Here's the thing, we are going to treat it like any other bolt action. We have some 150 gr Interbonds that we are going to try. We don't have to use the more traditional bullets that are required for tube magazined lever action rifles. We are going to be looking for measurements such as distance from the lands and we are not necessarily going to crimp the loads. We are going to work up our loads from a safe starting point and watch for pressure signs as we always do. However, I have been thinking of some of the obstacles such as bullet performance. That Interbond is probably designed to fly faster than the 30-30 is capable of pushing it. How will that play out in the field? Data is another concern. The 30-30 is very limited and most data calls for a round nose style bullet that gets a crimp. So, thats going to be a variable when we're using a ballistic tip boat tail. We are considering fire forming to the gun and then neck sizing the cases from then on. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any solid advise to give or has any other ideas that maybe we haven't thought of?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Page generated in 0.01967 seconds with 8 queries