View Single Post
Old April 6, 1999, 09:36 PM   #1
Flashman

Last week when on a walk with my family (2 seven year old boys, wife and 20 lb. dog) we came upon a middle aged woman with a Rottweiler and 60 lb. mixed breed running loose. The Rotti immediately ran towards my Border Terrier and wife. The BT feeling threatened, lunged at the Rotti's mouth turning him away. The other dog then attacked the BT. My wife who has no fear of dogs, kicked the mixed breed off and picked up the BT putting him on her shoulder. The Rotti then started jumping up to the BT. My wife was screaming at the lady to control her dogs. She did nothing. Then the Rotti discovered me and my sons. He ran towards the boy on my left and I kicked and yelled at him. He ran around to try to get at other son. Both boys were behind me on left and right up against me. I again dissuaded the Rotti. The woman was walking away at that point. I screamed again at her to control her dogs. She looked shocked but just turned around and walked away saying nothing. It happened so quickly and without time to think, just act. Upon reflection it bothers me more than it did then. All I had with me was a tactical type folder which was of no use. I was thinking a baton might have been the best tool or perhaps a spray. Any suggestions? I will say a handgun would have been too dangerous. Too many people too close and at the wrong angles. I wonder about a spray in those conditions. I think a couple hits from a baton on the Rotti's muzzle would have changed things. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Page generated in 0.02501 seconds with 8 queries