View Single Post
Old January 3, 2020, 01:40 AM   #27
Two Bears

Tungsten Super Shot For Deer And Hog - Expanding The Definition of Buckshot.

It has been many years since I have hunted with buckshot as I once did in my youth in the pine forests of southern Arkansas for deer and Razorback boar. My methods and weapons have changed over the years as has my age. I now have great grandchildren, so I have passed the torch of different hunting traditions down to them. Having hunted from the swaps of Arkansas to the timberlines of Wyoming's Continental Divide east of Jackson Hole.

I have a first generation Ithaca DeerSlayer III with a parkerized rifled full bull barrel and laminated stock. She weighs 10lbs. empty without the scope. The barrel is screwed into the steel action and has a custom hand tuned trigger. Sort of a bean-field slug gun with a 26" barrel designed to hunt from a fixed position and very accurate.

Now if the occasion arose where I thought a "buckshot" load would be a better choice there is no doubt in my mind what I would choose. It covers longer ranges with a tighter pattern especially out of my fully rifled barrel with more power than any other I know of and that is Dixie Slugs "Tri-Ball" load. This load consist of three hard cast .600” round balls, in a heavy one piece plastic wad, at 1100’/”. Each ball weighs 320 grs and has a Ballistic Coefficient of 0.084 each packing 846 ft.Lbs. of energy at the muzzle and 630 ft.Lbs. at 60 yards. The .600”-320 gr. ball has 5.9 times the mass of the .33”-54 gr. #00 buckshot! It will pattern 6" or less at 40 yards out of my rifled bull barrel. It is just another option to see how it works out of your shotgun as it works out of smooth bores also. Oh, and it kicks. Happy hunting everyone!

Page generated in 0.02237 seconds with 8 queries