View Single Post
Old October 13, 2017, 12:40 AM   #18
bamaranger

loaded question

The question as posed in the OP covers a vast amount of territory. As to reliability, I'd suggest that the two are equal. Same with accuracy. As noted, the pump is dependent upon correct operation by the shooter. But an autoloader is dependent upon ammunition, and to a certain extent, the magazine. And I also believe that a sporting auto requires a bit more attention to maintenance. I've seen many of the Remington 740 family with pitted chambers that were not to be trusted at all. And while we're at it, let's rememeber that there is really only one domestic pump centerfire still in production, the Remington 7600.

We're talking centerfires sporters in the above paragraph, but when we step over to pump rimfires, there's more to consider. Remington still makes the Fieldmaster, Henry has a pump, and there are the Taurus/Win clones. Does Rossi make a Win clone too? I'd give them all equal reliability v. the autoloader. Accuracy causes me to ponder. There are some very accurate Ruger 10/22's with heavy barrels, and tweaked triggers. But I have never heard or seen a pump rifle, rimfire or centerfire, worked over for match accuracy.

And then there's the tactical/military side of the semiauto family. With chromed bores and chambers, beefy extractors and ejectors, and in some cases, (AK) bombproof mags, I see them in a different light. Designed to function in the extremes, the tac/mil family is in another class above the semiauto sporter. Also, the GI semi's have been tweaked for accuracy over the years, the Garand, the M14, and the AR, have all been "accurized". Not so the civilian slide action.

Pros and Cons?
-Cost is all over the board. You can buy a perfectly new 10/22 for about $200 , but a Remington Fieldmaster Pump will take $500 (NIB prices). You can purchase a Remington 7600 for under $1000, but a Springfield M1A will cost you in the neighborhood of $1500.

-I've never experienced a Remington Fieldmaster or Speedmaster, 740... centerfire, 760...centerfire that had what I would truely call a "rifleman's trigger"

-I've heard some say the slide handle can rattle on the Remington pumps and spook game. The slide on bamaboy's Mossberg 835 (shotgun) is noisy enough to spook gobblers, if that's any comparison.

-the pump centerfire has a domesticated look to most folks. The tac/mil style rifles may raise an eyebrow at camp, or from those not in the family

-a tac/mil rifle in .30 cal tends to be heavier than a comparable sporter

-as stated, the edge in accuracy goes to the semiauto (tac/mil) centerfire or rimfire

-for aimed, accurate, fast fire, the semi wins, hands down

In closing, I like pump rifles and started my deer career with a worn Remington Model 14 and still have it. But I never bought another pump centerfire. Every time I take one of my tac/mil .30's afield, I'm reminded on the way back to the Bronco about why I like light portable rifles. My bolt rifles are across the board, have better triggers and display better accuracy, than any of my semiauto tac/mils. The most accurate .22 I own is a bolt....and it feeds terribly from its chinzy magazine.

Page generated in 0.03307 seconds with 8 queries