View Single Post
Old April 24, 2012, 10:01 AM   #13
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle
The only way to tell if you're actually any good is in competition.

Shooting stationalry targets at known ranges without any time constraints gives you just about zero useful information.
I agree there's a lot of value to competition, but I don't necessarily agree that informal target shooting on one's own is valueless. There are plenty of shooters, many that do compete, who can't shoot a good group with good gear and all the time in the world, and they'd do well to take time to work on their fundamentals. At some point, though, shooting 25 yard cloverleaves becomes a skill looking for an application, such as some form of competition.

As to what's "good shooting", it usually refers to target type shooting, to which FlyFish gave a good reply, IMO. My metric for good (but not outstanding) shooting is honest and consistent 3"@25 yards. Do the math for 15 yards. That's 5 rounds, unsupported, with a service-sized handgun. Revolver shooters should be able to do this in double action as well. "Honest" means everything counts (no "fliers"), and "consistent" means 3@25 is what you're typically able to do on demand, not just once in a great while when everything clicks.

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries