View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATSAW
My .280 was measuring consistently +.004": how the heck are my sized cases larger than my fired cases? I measured several cases I had previously sized against ones I shot today. I have no idea how it's possible to get the shoulder moved forward but clearly I have a problem.

Any ideas?
Is this with the die hard against the shellholder? As explained by Tangolima, the shoulder gets longer before it gets shorter. It has to, that brass has to go somewhere and the only place available is "up".

Once the case shoulder contacts the brass shoulder, it will "bump" the case shoulder shorter.

Mr Guffey's preceding 8 paragraphs of drivel notwithstanding, the process has been explained many times.

If you're getting +0.004, that tells you that the die needs to be at least 0.006 lower in the press. You can use feeler gauges to check the current gap and then use 0.006 less to set the new gap, or you can simply proceed with trial and error. 0.006 is roughly 6/70ths of a turn or just less than 1/10th or roughly 1/3rd of 1/4th. Contrary to the opinion of some, estimates and rough adjustments are fine. We're not going to the moon here, it's only ammunition.

Page generated in 0.02053 seconds with 8 queries