View Single Post
Old October 25, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
WW2

Bi Focals and focusing on front sight...

For all you experienced shooters, I am 54 and wear bi-focal glasses. My sight without glasses is 20/400 so I must wear glasses when shooting handguns. With scoped rifles, I can remove the glasses and focus the scope for my eyes, so no problems.

So, when I look at the target through the glasses it will be in sharp focus, but the front sight will be blurry. The only way to bring the front sight in to sharp focus is to tilt my head back to bring the "reading" part of the lens in to play. Thus I can now see the sights clearly, but the target is all but blurred beyond usefulness. With iron sights on rifles, the sights are blurry and the target is in sharp focus. Tilting my head back while holding the cheek weld on the rifle is impossible.

My optometrist has recommend special computer glasses for distances from 18 inches to 10 feet as this range is a bit soft in focus and working on computers all day is difficult to impossible without the use of large monitors and fonts. These glasses probably will not work for shooting.

My question is: "How do those of you with older eyes deal with this problem?"

Page generated in 0.03628 seconds with 8 queries