View Single Post
Old March 9, 2010, 04:31 PM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

Rights and their implementation are a social construct and thus can be ranked. Ranking them doesn't imply that we must accept some other set. Restrictions of one right doesn't imply that others must be necessarily XY or Z. Freedom of religion doesn't trump a state prohibiting religious human sacrifice (even if voluntarily entered into by someone who is probably delusional).

If a modern Abraham decided to sacrifice his son, like Issac -according to his view of the will of the Lord, I expect the state to step in.

I set up what is my opinion of what right trumps what other right.

I think self-defense trumps property rights of folks who are open for business as I think discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or ethnic group is not acceptable based on a property rights argument.

Exercising a basic right of humanity should be protected in the business circumstance I laid out. You have a business open to the public.

You don't have to agree with me. But property rights for me, don't trump others on a prior basis.

The state did control whom could be married, BTW - read the proposed constitutional amendment back when for prohibiting whites from marrying blacks.

PS - have to do some work now. I've said it all. If I don't answer your telling logic - nothing personal. Got to make a living.

Page generated in 0.03155 seconds with 8 queries