View Single Post
Old December 4, 2002, 11:14 PM   #19
beetlefang

accuracy in 10 feet...

When I was with the Seabees (NMCB 133 - like 13 years ago) we performed small unit infantry training.

We wore MILES gear - it's pretty much a laser tag system hooked up to your toa weapon. When you shoot a blank, it activates the laser and the reception either kills the target (it beeped continuosly, made it so the weapon wouldn't be able to kill anyone, and must be shut off with a key) or wounds/shoots close to the target (two little chirps to let you know you're being shot at).

We set the dope on our 16's w/ the laser attached. Then we headed off to the woods to play 'war.' It was fun. We did everything from L shaped ambushes to 'frontal assaults' and a couple of old fashioned civil war charges just for fun (we were kids playing w/ nice toys).

One of the things I learned was that you better aim your darn weapon to hit anything! I mean use the sight and squeeze the trigger. Pray and spray ended up in a bunch of double chirps...well aimed shots ended in a constant chirp equalling the kill.

A shotgun and a carbine can be very intuitive weapons. They are meant to kill. If you're using one for self defense, then the other person is - in your mind- able to cause bodily harm. Not being very accurate may give the assailant the opportunity to do just that.

In the home I'm pretty much a well armed pacifist...I have kids and guns. The guns are locked seperately from the ammo, the weapons are in locked cases or a safe. All have trigger locks in addition to the locked safe or locked case with the exception of our shotguns - they are locked up too but without trigger locks because we use them so often for hunting.

My first purchase for home defense would be a cell phone. My second would be a dog. My third would be a weapon that I feel comfortable that my wife could wield safely and could be stored safely away from little hands.

Sorry for the diatribe...as for your choice of mossberg...my brother in law owns one and it's an awesome pump shotgun. We were breaking clays with it last weekend.

-Beetle

Page generated in 0.03776 seconds with 8 queries