View Single Post
Old April 24, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Kvon2

Pointer Semi Auto Deluxe Review!

I finally got to take my Pointer out to the range today. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it given there are no reviews anywhere online for these things. Of course this was day one so only time will tell how it is but here's what I have so far!

In the box:

It came disassembled in a pretty decent quality carrying case. The pieces came covered in gun socks which is a nice touch. The case is much better case than what came with my Stag M6 a few months ago. Other than the firearm itself, in the box I found a smaller case containing 5 screw in chokes and a choke tool. The chokes were marked 1-5. The manual refers to 5 as a skeet choke, in my experience that is usually a cylinder choke but close enough. Everything else was standard. There were also 3 spacers for adjusting the length of pull. It also comes with two gas pistons, one for light loads and one for heavier.

Fit/finish:

Everything fit together very nicely when assembled. No rattling or shaking once put together. I opted for the synthetic stock because of the price tag of about $380. The plastic is coated in a very hand friendly rubbery like finish, it feels good in the hand! The finish on the 28 inch barrel I will admit is just okay. Not beautiful. The red fiber optic front sight is definitely a nice touch, can't wait to use it for clays. The recoil pad helps, but is somewhat small. I believe the field model comes with a thicker one, definitely something to consider.

Performance/Reliability:

Today I put 50 rounds of birdshot through it with no errors of any sort. I also put 3 slugs down range at 50 yards(only had 3 left from my last shoot) and those cycled well. I didn't measure the group of slugs but I'd put it around 3 inches or so.

Given that this is going to be a skeet/trap gun I have confidence in the Pointer to perform well for doubles. Of course, 53 total rounds is a very small sample size.

Verdict:

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. Like a lot of legacy sports international products, you're getting a lot of things in the box for an attractive price. Given that I only shoot skeet/trap a few weekends a year, the Pointer seems to be a great choice so far.

I'll try to get some pictures up later on!

Page generated in 0.02058 seconds with 8 queries