View Single Post
Old July 11, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
is a mil dot scope reticle just a band-aid for a scope that doesn't have good repeatability ???
No, not at all, it has nothing to do with good repeatability. That is the quality of scope (didn't say price, I said quality, there are lots of good scopes out there that don't require selling your kids into the slave trade to buy).

I've seen expensive scopes that sucked, I've seen in-expensive scopes that were outstanding.

The Mil recital is a type of recital that suites a purpose and does it well. So does a MOA scope. I have several scopes, some are MOA/MOA, some are MIL/MIL some are MIL/MOA, each has its purpose based on the shooting venue you use.

I like the MOA/MOA for long range NRA target shooting, (I'm not talking short range such as =/< 300 yards. But 800-1000 yards. The scoring rings are a known distance apart, so the MOA works moving the group to match those scoring rings. Plus I also shoot iron sights at long range, they are MOA adjustments and its easier to use the same adjustments with the scope and irons.

For hunting I like the MIL/MOA, Meaning the MIL recital with MOA adjustments. I can use the MIL recital for range estimation, and knowing the body size of the animal in inches, I can adjust in MOA. Knowing the body size I can instantly look at the animal and determine if its in my MPBR (Max. point blank range) area.

An example, lets say I'm hunting antelope. I know the vital area of the average antelope is 8.5-9 inches. I know the average size (top of back to bottom of stomach) is 14.5 inches. I sight my rifle in at 275 yards. I know that if I look at the critter through my scope see that the animal fits within 1.5 mils then I aim for the center of the shoulder area and know that I'm in range, or I wont be above or below the 9 inch vital area.

If there is more then 1.5 mils, then I have to adjust or hold over, normally I like to adjust. At extended ranges you normally have more time to adjust. I know the animal size in inches so I like to adjust in inches.

For precision rifle shooting with unknown size targets, I like the MIL/MIL, meaning I have the MIL Recital and can adjust in MIL with its .1 MIL clicks.

Also the MIL Recital makes for fast follow up shots, I shoot and see dirt kick up 3 MILs from the target I can easily hold 3 MILS and make the follow up shot.

I don't like high powder scopes, they tend to pick up too much mirage and wash out the target or pick up the heat waves coming off the barrel and confusing the actual mirage from you to your target.

Scopes are like rifles, there is no one size that fits all. Also there are bad expensive rifles and good cheap rifles, the same with scopes.

One of the best scopes I have is a Weaver 3-10 MIL/MIL. It cost about 300 bucks. I've had expensive scopes that weren't worth the cost of the screw to mount them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries