View Single Post
Old April 17, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
mordis

Stress training, it is essential.

I thought i would post this, seeing as my experiance can help open the eyes of many people i hope. I get the feeling from people i talk to, that just going to the range and shooting static targets, or even going to a range were you can move and draw and all the other important stuff is enough when it comes to self defense.

I found out that is wrong..... VERY WRONG..

OK. I have with in the last 4.3 months started boxing, mostly becuase i want to learn mma and its a good start. Secondly becuase i think it is a very underrated striking art. Well Last tuesday i had my first sparring session. Which is like force on force training for all you tacticle gurus out there. Up till that point i thought it would be easy, that it would be like hitting a heavy bag that hits back. I was painfully wrong. The moment the coach said "box" my whole body tensed up, i actully stoped breathing, holding my breath.(my lips even started turning purple.) Every combo every, every slip and duck, every defensive thing i thought i had learnd nearly completely tossed out the window.

It was like i could only execute one thing at a time. My reaction time was far slower then it is normaly on the bag. Now it wasnt a total buttstompin, i did manage to get a few good rights in.

Now today(tuesday) i had my second sparring session, and i have ALOT of work to go, learned alot of valuable things. Most importantly it was a little easier to think, and react. My defenses were a lil better, i left less openings to exploit, and i was breathing..

Now i say all of this becuase, if this happend to me in a boxing session, its going to happen on the street when that thug pulls his smoke pole on you.. The old saying that you become 50% less skilled in a real fight is very true.

I cant stress enough the need for realistic, stress and adrenalin inducing training. Sparring is were you really, learn what you dont know. You learn the things that you do, and what you need to work on.

Seriously guys, try to work in some FOF trainging, it will likely save your life...

Page generated in 0.02274 seconds with 8 queries