View Single Post
Old November 24, 2000, 10:22 PM   #2
JerryM

Long range Rifles

I don't know what you should do. However, having hunted in the USA and Alaska (I was stationed there 3.5 years) I have concluded that for game smaller than elk I don't want any magnum. I have come to prefer the .270 WCF with 130 gr bullets loaded to 3150 fps. I have .243, 6mm, 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Wby Mag, and 338/06. In Alaska I used a .375 for Kodiak bears and moose. I have found that the .270 does everything I want for game the size of deer, antelope, sheep and the like. I have found the recoil of the magnums objectionable. Before you say that recoil doesn't bother you, try some magnums and fire them quickly as if you were being charged or had jumped game. Fire several fast shots at a target and then do the same with a standard cartridge. You will probably find that you push the heavy cartridges and tend to shoot low. You develop this flinch long before you go hunting. It comes from shooting at the bench sighting in and working up loads. You don't feel the recoil when shooting at game, but you have already developed the nervous reaction or flinch. When I have time to shoot slowly, squeezing the trigger I can do well with any thing, but it is different when I have to shoot fast. Mnay times shooting skeet I have heard men say: "Recoil doesn't bother me." Then they get a dud round and nearly jump off the station. In my diplomatic way I say: "For someone who isn't bothered by recoil you really have a bad flinch." Anyway of the cartridges you mentioned I would go with the .270 Wby. Just my idea after about 45 years of big game hunting. Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Page generated in 0.03585 seconds with 8 queries