View Single Post
Old November 24, 2009, 09:23 AM   #9
fprefect

Flying Parts

I am confused. The recoil spring guide should not have remained in place if the spring flew away as the guide fits into the back of the spring. Was the guide put in wrong and put into the pin rather than into the back of the spring?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The "guide" that I am assuming is the 1/2 inch nail attacted to the spring and it was inserted (guide toward muzzle) into a metal slide, for lack of a better word, that the firing pin is attached to.

There is nothing else to "fly", just the firing pin, the coil spring, and the guide, which looks like a short fat nail with a small head. The thin part of the guide goes inside the spring coils and the head butts up against the grip safety extension. If something else flew, it either didn't belong there or something broke off.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Nothing else came free from the pistol. Just the coil spring and the "nail with the small head". The firing pin and the metal slide it is attached to remained in the gun. Also the guide did not come out of the coil sping.

Are you saying that the end of the spring that has the "fat nail with the small head" should be pointed toward the rear of the gun. If this is the case, it was not. The end with "nail" was pointed toward the muzzle, fitted into a piece that had the firing pin attached and slides back and forth. I could find no place that the "open" end of the coil sping should fit. Perhaps into the notch you referred to earlier. But the open end of the spring was pointed toward the rear of gun when the slide first came partially off, of that I am sure as it did not fly completely out until I lifted the slide up further. Could it have been in backwards?

The only thing that actually came free from the pistol was the spring you describe with the metal "nail" on one end. That end of the spring (with the nail) slid into a hole or slot on a piece that was connected to the firing pin and slid back and forth on some grooves. I believe this piece could be taken completely out but I left in the gun. To the best of my knowledge, the only part that came free from the gun was just the coil spring with the metal "nail" and they remained connected. I really think all that I need is a new coil spring and nail, and someone other than myself who knows something about how it should be inserted correctly.

Jim, I truly appriciate your help with this matter and appologize if I was not making myself clear earlier.

Gary

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 8 queries