View Single Post
Old November 22, 2009, 11:40 PM   #7
fprefect

Flying Spring and Guide

Quote:
If the firing pin spring "went sailing", I suspect the firing pin spring guide* did also. You will need the guide as the spring would only be damaged again if the guide is not there, plus you can't install the spring without the guide hooking into the notch in the "roof" of the slide. (Yes, it is there; it is just not easy to see unless you look for it.)

*Possibly that "3/4 inch piece of metal", but it can't be just a piece of metal - it has to be shaped correctly. They can be easily made but the rear end has to have an inlet edge to hook into that notch.
Believe it or not, the guide as well as the pin remained in position (probably thanks to being covered with 60+ years of dirt and grease. What went flying was just a spring about 2 inches in length with a metal "tip" on one end. I must have accidentally got the darn thing put back together (although probably not in the notch that I was not even aware existed) and the pistol would fire about 1/3rd of time but the firing pin left a very shallow impression on the primer. In a foolish attempt to lengthen the spring in order to obtain some additional force it broke and I'm feeling rather foolish. At least all I believe I will need is just a new firing pin spring as the pin itself and guide are still in good working order and the metal weight is still attached to one end of the spring. (Miracles even happen to idiots playing gunsmith) It's now with a gunsmith at a local range but it may be a couple of days before I know what he'll be able to come up with.

I'm hopeful it can still be put back in working order if I can get it into the hands of someone familiar with that particular pistol and appreciate your help in trying to undo a foolish attempt to work on a firearm I was completely unfamiliar with and will let you know what the outcome turns out to be.

FP

Page generated in 0.02572 seconds with 8 queries