View Single Post
Old July 9, 2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Gaerek

Quote:
I don't press check, . . . because I know if there is a round in my weapon. Why? Cause if there is, . . . I put it there, . . . and if there ain't, . . . I wanted it that way, . . . and I can remember which is which.
So, you've never, in your life not fully seated a mag?

And in the process of racking, or releasing the slide, failed to chamber a round?

I'm not saying it's a common thing, but it has happened to me. Failing to know whether your gun chambered a round or not could be a fatal mistake.

If you drop the mag and check witness holes, you might be ok (if you're absolutely sure you loaded to capacity, that is...).

I don't know, a press check seems like a simple thing to do to ensure you're in condition 1. And it's safe as long as you do it correctly.

Having said that, I actually agree with Rob here when it comes to speed reload vs administrative reload. I understand his point. From a simplicity in training standpoint, you only have to know one type of reload. You develop muscle memory of that type. This was how I was taught when I took my first handgun courses.

Some will say, but he just dropped a round on the ground! Yeah, that might be true. But the chances that one round will change the outcome of the fight are miniscule. The chances that you botch a reload because you're over-thinking which one you should do, or because you've split your time practicing multiple reload techniques are MUCH higher. And please, spare me the "There was that one time when that one guy emptied 18 rounds from his G17 into a perp, reloaded with another mag and put another 17 rounds into him before he stopped!!!" Anecdote isn't the singular of data.

My instructor also mentioned that if you think you're getting to the end of your magazine, and there's a lull in the fight, perform a speed reload. You'll be out of the fight for a shorter amount of time than with the other types of reloads, and if you have time, you can pick your dropped mag off the ground. Not always ideal, but then again, this is about training one type of reload to the point of perfection rather than splitting your training between 3 types.

Now, in the end, do what works for you. I'm convinced that unless I'm shooting IDPA, there's very little reason to train more than one type of reload.

Last edited by Gaerek; July 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries