View Single Post
Old November 26, 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Chief55

While I was stationed in northern Calf. I stopped at a forrest service station for national forrest maps. The rangers there asked me to start hunting coyotes saying that they were taking 90% of the new born fawns within 2 weeks of being born in that forrest. I hunted for them while stationed in Calf. and again in OR. I started out calling at night but found I could call them during the day just as well. If they are hungry they will come. They just tend to be moving greater distances at night. I used hand calls tuned to rabbits and fawns. The main thing was to cover your sent well, good camo, keep movement to a min. and to put a lot of panic into the calling. I whore just a bit of orange to keep hawks from swooping down at me, the yootes did not seem to see it, might be color blind to some degree. Don't over call as they will pin point you to an inch. Amagin a hurt rabbit. Each cry or scream on the call should be short and fast as you are imatating animals with a small lung capasity so it can not be long drawn out screams to be natural sounding. Keep the screems to around 2 to 3 seconds. The length of the screams is the main difference between a rabbit or a fawn. A fawn screem being just a bit longer and tuned just a bit deeped more like a jack rabbit. They will kill and eat anything that is competing with them for food, including dogs and cats. I saw a pack corner and take down a full grown cow elk in OR. It blew my mind. Match your gun to the range. Number 4 shot or bigger works great in close. With rifle or pistol I like rapidly exspanding bullets. Sorry this is so long but hope it helps you. Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03655 seconds with 8 queries