View Single Post
Old April 30, 2010, 09:01 AM   #33
booker_t

00 Spy: Yes, and no.. I think from reading the other educated comments here that we are both right on various points. Let me try to clarify.. approach keeping the body behind the B-pillar, and leaning forward to view the lap and find the hands. Once that visual inspection has been made, take a step foward keeping your right hand on or near your pistol, but keeping the pistol away from the window opening. Approach would be slightly different for a lefty, where the benefit is his weapon is on the opposite side of the body.

Kmar, great observation regarding the torch in his shooting hand.

Due to my work schedule, I am often driving home through somewhat residential areas around 1am-3am on weekends. As such, I have been the "victim" of pretextual DUI stops more than I care to mention, on occasions when I haven't had a drop of alcohol. It's just that time of night, and the local police are pulling everyone over, I get it. What I usually do is while I'm being pulled over, I'll pull my wallet out and put it on my lap. I have my registration/insurance/etc in a little notebook in the glovebox, so I might take that out and put it on the driver's seat. When I pull over, I turn off the engine, keys out of the ignition, window down half to 3/4s and put my hands on the steering wheel. If it's a dark area, I'll even turn on the interior lights, I have nothing to hide. Only when the officer asks to see license/reg do I take my hands off the wheel.

If I do have to reach into my pocket or glove box to get the documents, I tell the officer what I'm going to do before I do it. "My ID is in my back pocket" and then I reach back and pull it out. Then, "My registration is in the glove box" and I pull that out. I've never been thanked for it, but I would imagine it's appreciated. I wish it was something they taught to kids in driving school, simply how to act during a traffic stop to protect yourself and the police.

BillCA, "clear evidence that all the forms, bureaucratic red-tape and delays required by numerous "gun laws" aren't worth spit." You got that right.

Page generated in 0.02420 seconds with 8 queries