View Single Post
Old March 22, 2001, 11:16 AM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Acuracy doesn't neccessarily equate to velocity, so your most accurate well might not be your fastest.

Sierra does a pretty good job of indicating what their "accuracy" & "hunting" load is for any given bullet weight. Sometimes they are the same. Worth a look.

Usually, whatever powder that gives best loading density (fills the case) works best for uniform pressures & accuracy.

Prep'ing your brass can have good results. Size the new brass, debur the flash hole from the inside, ream primer pockets, trim all cases to the same length & chamber/debur the mouth.

I'll start off with my bullets seated about .010" off the lands, work up a load of specific powder in 1/2 grain increments - starting about 10% below listed max through max. 5 rounds each. After shooting for groups, and always watching for pressure signs, compare what you got. Sometimes ya luck out. For "just hunting," I want something that stays within 1" at 100

To really start tweaking, I'll then do the 5 each bit with different seating depths, working towards the rifling first (longer OAL) in .005" increments.

Records are important so you don't lose track.

Something rarely mentioned is the technique off the bench. If your technique is haphazard, you will be the main weasel in the works rather than your different loadings.

If you want to get really squirrely, you can take case prep
to new levels by doing all the above, turning the necks, weighing cases, etc. For an off the rack rifle, I never bother.

Page generated in 0.02576 seconds with 8 queries