View Single Post
Old July 7, 2008, 03:49 PM   #14
AirForce2

Mag release update info

I tinkered around with the mag release ledge in the gun, magazine spring, and looked at the slide this weekend and here my thoughts.

-I put a small pointed fine polisher on my dremel at slow speed and buffed the mag release ledge on side corners & top in the gun and also polished the outer and inner ledge of one magazine enough to remove any burrs if there were any and had no noticable results to make me feel good.

-I also cut one of the full coils off the mag and no noticable help. (hope I can get a replacement spring from SA cheap and not have to buy a mag). No help. This was dumb on my part and don't suggest it. There are not enought coils to loose any.

-I then decided to trim the bottom of the plastic follower in the test mag to gain some crunch room and have not tried it yet in the other mag with new spring yet. (still testing)

-I tried another test: I took a non modified new clip of the 2 I have and ensured with 15 or 16 rds that mag eject still sucked, then removed the slide and the mag drops easy as pie. I don't have another gun to compare brand or 1911, but I think the amount of pressure a full 16 rd mag puts upward against the bottom of the slide is the main problem. As the slide goes forward against a new shell to load, the amount of meat on the bottom middle part of slide that pushes the bullet from mag into barrell seems pretty deep (the bottom is appx into or close to the primer area).

I think there is to much upward pressure to bottom of slide from a full mag. The mags take quite a bit of force to insert than I think is needed. I can't shave an 1/8 inch without machinery I don't have. I hope this won't be a problem in competition of production class since it's 10 rds allowed only but I'd hate to have 15-17 rds in the gun and have to do a mag change due to malfunc in limited or life scenario.

Page generated in 0.03282 seconds with 8 queries