Thread: Was I at Fault?
View Single Post
Old February 9, 2020, 02:06 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Police officers consider it a courtesy ... to them. As already noted, some states require it. Where it's not required, it's up to each individual whether or not to inform in not asked directly. My choice would be not to inform.

Why?

Because I carry a 1911. In my experience in this corner of the universe, VERY few police officers know anything about the 1911 manual of arms -- manual safety; light, short trigger (compared to a Glock!); hammer; no magazine disconnect. I've read of and seen too many interactions where the officer decides he needs to take the motorist's gun and unload it, "for safety." Sorry, but my 1911 is completely safe resting in my holster, with the trigger covered, the thumb safety set, and the grip safety not depressed. It's a lot safer for all involved to just leave there rather than have Officer Friendly fumbling around with a gun he doesn't know how to work, trying to unload it to make it "safe."

[Note: My state does not mandate "must inform."]
Yep, I could write a book about all the negligent discharges I have seen leo do during my years of service. At a neighboring agency, their firearms instructor shot a student.
One of the guys on my shift shot a hole in his patrol car door with his 870. Chief took it away from him and shot the ceiling in his office unloading it.
I love this video.
https://youtu.be/vfONckOPyaI

Last edited by reynolds357; February 9, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.03907 seconds with 8 queries