View Single Post
Old April 13, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
NavyLT

Quote:
Or should we get the FFL paperwork transferred? I have a Kel Tek P3-AT. I am considering the purchase of a P-11 & let my wife carry the P3 for her purse (as soon as she gets her permit). What would be the legal issues with her carrying a gun that I bought under my background check?
I figure since we're married, my guns are hers as well. Should I even be concerned?
You need not be concerned about the transfer of the handgun to her in Alabama.

I would be concerned about carrying a gun in a purse for the following reasons:

1. Accessibility: just how fast is she going to be able to retrieve that gun to use it?

2. Negligent Discharge: unless the gun is in a holster with retention inside the purse consider this. How many times does she get into her purse during the day? If the gun is kept loaded in the purse, even with the safety on, what are the possibilites of the safety coming off inside the purse due to contact with other items in there? What are the possibilities of a negligent discharge due to the trigger catching on something in the purse or if she does have to retrieve the gun, doing so in the blind (without her having to look in the purse) and pulling the trigger inadvertantly while doing so.

3. Keeping the gun unloaded in the purse: now, not only do you have the time associated with retrieving the gun from the purse, but in order to fire, she is going to have to drop the purse, or arm through the strap, to have two hands free to rack the slide. Might as well just carry a brick in the purse as an unloaded gun.

4. Purse Snatching: what is the most likely item to get stolen from a woman?

To me, INMHO, purse carry is probably the single most dangerous way to carry a firearm.

Sorry, I know that is not the question that you asked.

Page generated in 0.03207 seconds with 8 queries