Thread: 10/22 or 15/22?
View Single Post
Old December 5, 2018, 10:16 AM   #18
zukiphile

A S&W 15-22 isn't made from AR parts, but it also costs quite a bit less than an AR in 22lr. If you already have the tools and are familiar with AR assembly, an AR is easier to free float and produce good reliability and accuracy. There is less to get wrong in an AR, imo, and the design has some advantages.

10/22s can be money pits. The bolt is a couple of ounces heavier than the CMMG bolts, which are too light in my estimation. The advantage of building a 10/22 from parts is that there is a huge world of vendors from whom to choose. The disadvantage is that there is a huge world of vendors in which to become lost.

10/22 accuracy tuning is a dark art. The barrel wants a pressure pad at the front or back, unless of course it doesn't. Free floating is brilliant or ineffective, depending on the specific rifle and who you ask. I have a lot of affection for Ruger designs and I've tinkered with them for decades. Yet, the 10/22 trigger group drives some people nutty, and the quality of Ruger's manufacturing is not always superlative, even if they do have excellent customer service.

Last edited by zukiphile; December 5, 2018 at 10:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.02177 seconds with 8 queries