View Single Post
Old November 28, 2019, 07:03 PM   #24
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Quite a few, including some card carrying union member democrats. But then, I'm counting all the little people, in the basket of deplorables who aren't in public office as well as all those who are but aren't the top names in the news day after day. The point is, it isn't just the leaders alone who do the work. Yes, they take the credit, and the honest ones take the blame when it's due, but they aren't the only people working for the cause. On either side.

I will admit, "Hell yes! we're going to take your AR-15!" does sound more than a bit spiteful. Especially when others have spent years says "no one is going to take your guns"...though it does have the rather unique place of being open and honest about their actual goals. DO note how fast that fellow got bounced out, probably for being so foolish as to speak the truth in public.
Though, of course the stated reason(s) will be something else...

National politics is tied to state politics on many levels but focusing on national politics in this thread is drifting it away from the OP topic of the proposed law(s) in VA.

The list of things to be banned is an updated, revised edit of the things that were in the 94AWB, and have been the "Standard" of the gun banners since.

A few new phrases, a couple of tweaks, but basically its the same stuff they've been trying to get passed since the AWB sunset. Except for a few years after 9/11/2001 when they focused on "bigger issues".

Since there hasn't been a major successful terrorist attack on American soil since then, they have decided its time to go back to telling America the biggest threat to our personal safety is people owning guns, and specifically the "bad guns" such as "assault weapons".

Note the proposed VA law still uses the "evil features" formula. Semi autos are only "assault weapons" if they have certain features. I wonder how much time their staffers spent going though gun data with a "choose this, not that" list to fill??

I note that a semi auto pistol that is too HEAVY is an assault weapon. All you Desert Eagle owners, take note!

Take at look at the ban of shotguns with revolving cylinders. See if there's language attached to that that include "like kind" or "substantially similar to" phrases. That's their ground work for banning revolvers, AFTER they get rid of semi autos.

WA state passed a law last election cycle, and while it wasn't a ban this NOW it turned every single semi auto rifle in the state into a "semi automatic assault rifle" in legal definition. Imposes extra waiting periods, background checks, cost, training requirement and several other things. EVERY SINGLE semi auto rifle, no matter the age, caliber or design, military style or not.

They did this with the definition in the law which was essentially, any rifle that use force from the fired cartridge to reload the chamber. There were no "if it has this feature it is, and if it doesn't it isn't" They just took the base definition of ALL semi auto firearms and applied it to turn everything semi auto and a rifle into a "semiautomatic assault rifle".

Apparently the folks looking to outlaw guns in WA are taking a slightly slower approach than those in VA.
Along with a lot of your other points, I definitely agree that a lack of a major successful attack breeds major complacency... to the point it is advantageous to those working against us. I believe even a minor attack... of course it's only minor to those not in the kill zone, would be enough to stop, at least temporarily, this push like the one in VA.

I do hold out some hope for us... we have a chance to gain more ground. I just can't help but recognize the severity of the threat/left... and VA is practically my second home state. There may be a few days a month that I don't enter VA.

Page generated in 0.03316 seconds with 8 queries