View Single Post
Old November 28, 2019, 03:05 PM   #21
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
"I think some of them do indeed see punishment of wrongthink as the main feature and not a cherry on top. How else do you explain people who acknowledge the policy won’t really help their stated goal and yet they push it anyway?

Not to mention I see that sentiment a lot these days on the under 30 crowd of lawyers on either side."
Regrettably I suspect Mr. Roberts has nailed it.

There is within a significant percentage of those on the Progressive Liberal end of the political spectrum, which includes most if not all anti-gun sentiment, a sense that their goals and ends are virtuous; whereas the counter-perspective is not merely without virtue per se, but additionally is affiliated with anti-social paradigms that include racism, homophobia, misogyny, islamophobia, white privilege, hyper-patriotism, and a host of other psycho-social ills characteristic of conservative thought.

In other words, in the view of many anti-gunners people who enjoy firearms are not merely exhibiting 'wrong-think', they exhibit antisocial perspectives and rationale that are pathological in one respect or another.

As Mr. Roberts noted, individuals who favor banning ARs/AKs, for example, or who favor repealing the Second Amendment altogether are willing to admit that such measures would not stop criminals -- who after all are disinclined to obey laws to begin with.

They're able to cognitively agree that waiting periods and 'closing the gun show loophole' would not have prevented any of the mass shootings of the previous years.

Yet they want these measures passed into law anyway, because such measures would punish gun owners and those who enjoy firearms, in the same way that sinners are punished in most major religions of the world. We deserve punishment because we are sinners - we reject the more virtuous conclusions of those who believe they occupy the moral and ethical high ground.

At least in the reading I've done on the matter, in a genuine attempt to understand the point of view of those who so ardently argue in favor of more gun laws, there is a genuine sense of aggrievement over the rejection of their paradigm by gun owners.

They're willing to agree that more gun laws would not stop those who do not obey laws anyway - but there remains a punitive sense that gun owners need to be punished and punished more, until they give up their guns and change their thinking to conform to new norms.

It isn't about stopping crime. It's more about disarming America by changing the way Americans think. And, its about winning by any means necessary.

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 8 queries