View Single Post
Old January 19, 2013, 01:35 AM   #169
mrbatchelor

There is absolutly no reason to believe any random individual in a lower income neighborhood is less of a person.

And there's no reason to make their choices more restricted than they already are. However what's proposed hammers them way harder than it hammers me.

I assure you that an extra $50 on the price of a used handgun or rifle that I really want isn't going to be a deal breaker for me. And I suspect that "most" folks in my age bracket that are frequenting gun boards have the means to absorb that added cost while we grumble about it.

But quite honestly, the likelyhood that someone is going to break into my house in a relatively affluent neighborhood getting past the lights and alarms is far smaller than the likelyhood someone will break into a house in the predominantly black neighborhood several miles from me.

The economic reality - irrespective of any "I have nothing to hide" argument - is that a mandatory background check may very well keep a SD handgun out of financial reach of a single mom while it's just an inconvenience to most of us here. An extra $50 on a $700 1911 ticks me off, but an extra $50 on a $125 used revolver might have to go to rent instead, so no SD guns for poor people.

MB

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 19, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Removed race commentary

Page generated in 0.03245 seconds with 8 queries