Thread: Custom Grips
View Single Post
Old March 28, 2010, 08:06 PM   #63
Olympus

Quote:
Olympus: I see you've said you can make grips if their similar to the 1911 style. Can you make grips for S&W Semi-auto's mdl 39 or 59 and Browning Hi-powers. Would a pair of original grips sent to you help in the examination of the possiblility? Love your grips.
This is a really tricky area for me. A black or white answer would be that if the insides of the grips have to be inletted or if they fit into slots in the pistol frame, then I will NOT be able to make the grips. I have no equipment to do any kind of inletting. That is one reason why I stick to 1911 grips. They sit flat against the frame and do not require any inletting inside the grips.

The tricky part gets to when I agree to try these things. I personally own a few 1911s so I make sure to fit each set of my grips to a frame. But since I don't own all these different pistols, I can't guarantee an exact fit. Situations in the past have been that I take on these projects and the grips don't exactly fit right or aren't close enough to the originals and people want their money back. So I invest a lot of time and use valuable wood to end up with something that I can't sell or use. It's a loss for everyone. Guns like Llamas, Stars, Ballester Molinas are very close to 1911s. I'm not familar with Hi Powers, MDL 39s, or 59s, so I can't say for certain. A picture of the grips, outside and inside will give me a better idea as to whether I can make a go of them. But the customer has to understand that there can't be a guarantee of fit since I don't own the different model pistols or CNC equipment to give exact replicas.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!

Page generated in 0.02594 seconds with 8 queries