View Single Post
Old May 14, 2019, 07:16 AM   #9
2wheelwander

Sevens, I got my first deer with my Dads muzzle loader at ?15? years old.To this day I recall just seeing fur in the scope and pulling the trigger. To my credit it was running broadside about 50 yards away at full stride. In reality it was pure luck - full disclosure, I gut shot it. BUT! I was hooked and have been deer hunting nearly every season since then. Taught me to make every shot count until Dad gave me a Remington 1100. Too much too soon as I figured I could just throw lead in the air and fill my tag.

All that to say this, I still have that treasured muzzle loader in my safe 35 years later and have bagged many a deer since then. I never went back to black powder after getting that 1100, but at 50 I've had renewed interest in it. Guess some things go full circle.

The only thing I can offer from your questions is cleaning. I recall cleaning it in a 5 gallon bucket with the hottest water available from the tap and a squirt of Dawn. It was always a mess. Lots of scrubbing and an oil down afterwards.

Best of luck. Hope this snags your future step son as it did me!

Page generated in 0.03266 seconds with 8 queries