View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012, 07:00 AM   #1
grumpa72

Winchester Model 97

I have a couple of questions on my Model 97. My brother came into town bringing along a much used and abused 97. After verifying that it was empty, I worked the slide and it is REALLY slow and gunky feeling. The barrel and pump action came off with a bit of PB Blaster and some interesting words. However, I am reluctant to mess with the receive so my question is whether or not these guns are "user friendly" with regard to taking the receiver apart. I followed this link to ensure that I remembered how to take the barrel off of the action - http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Model97down.html . However I find nothing in the archives on dis-assembly of the action.

For the record, the wood on this 97 is very nice but the metal is virtually devoid of any bluing. It has very minor surface rust but no pitting that I can see. I am inclined to put the receiver into a bucket of mineral spirits or kerosene, let it soak for a while and then spray the action with a good gun solvent. Bad idea or ok idea? Or can someone point me in the right direction of taking the action apart. My father picked up two 97s that were being sold by the Rock Island Arsenal police years ago but I have no idea if this is one of them.

thank you,
grumpa72

Page generated in 0.03717 seconds with 8 queries