View Single Post
Old August 21, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by azredhawk44:

I can appreciate responding armed to strangers in your backyard (if they were indeed in the backyard; to inspect a roof I would imagine you would have to be).

Gun in hand or in holster.

Not necessarily pointed at anyone though.
Not a good idea, at least in Arizona! What one person may be able to appreciate may land someone in hot water.

After September 30, 2009, the Arizona homeowner will have a little more leeway when it comes to displaying a firearm, but he will be permitted to do so only if "physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the use or attempted use of unlawful physical force or deadly physical force.”

Under such circumstances, the law will permit "Defensive Display of a Firearm", which includes....

Quote:
Verbally informing another person that you possess or have a firearm available.
Exposing or displaying a firearm in a manner that a reasonable person would understand was meant to protect oneself against another’s use or attempted use of unlawful physical or deadly force.
Placing your hand on a firearm while the firearm is contained in a pocket, purse or other form of containment or transport.
http://arizonaccwpermit.com/2009/07/...-of-a-firearm/

The law that remains in effect until September 30 is far more restrictive.

Of course, the OP is about a case in Wichita. I doubt the laws about a gun in hand are any less restrictive than the new AZ law; however, a gun in holster on one's own land or in one's own abode might be OK, absent any implied threats. Lay opinion.

Page generated in 0.03612 seconds with 8 queries